Community

Kiwanis Donates $20,000 to MIA

The Kiwanis Club of Marco Island recently presented a check for $20,000 to Marco Island Academy (MIA). The donation will upgrade the school’s technology, providing Chromebooks for the MIA students to use in the classroom. “The graciousness of this community and Kiwanis in partnering with our school and our students is just unbelievable to me. This donation allows us to […]

Breast Cancer Awareness Month: One Woman’s Story

Family, restaurant and Marco’s beach buoyed Lisa Meurgue’s recovery

Check-ups are vital for cancer survivors, and until recently Lisa Meurgue was as fastidious about them as anybody. But this past June, around the tenth anniversary of her 2008 diagnosis with stage 2 breast cancer, Meurgue had a delightfully ironic exchange with her oncologist. “He said he was breaking up with me, and that he didn’t want to see me […]

Lely Pink Out Night Honors Breast Cancer Survivors

It was a busy week of volleyball for the Lady Trojans. First, Lely hosted Naples High School at their Senior Night. The Lady Trojans will say farewell to five seniors (Morgan Broxson, Isabel Lyon, Lindsey O’Dell, Giana Orlando, and Amanda Stampfli) and will lose several key starters. The Lady Trojans suffered a tough loss at the hands of the Golden […]

Do I Need a Financial Advisor?

Ask The CFP® Practitioner

“Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy.” ~ John Bogle, Founder,the Vanguard Group Question: I’m trying to decide if I should work with a financial advisor. Understandably, I expect you’ll say yes, but can you explain why and provide specific reasons? Answer: Well, you are right, I do recommend that in most instances there are benefits to working with […]

T-REX One Last Cast Tournament

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, as the boats returned to the Goodland Boat Park with their results for the 4th Annual T-Rex One Last Cast Fishing Tournament. This year’s event boasted 115 anglers representing 42 boats/teams. The winners and results from the 2018 T-Rex One Last Cast Tournament are below. Fly Division (This was their second year with fly […]

6TH ANNUAL | Jerry Adams Chili Cook-Off

On Saturday, the Ben Allen Band kept the crowds entertained while they were out strolling along Smokehouse Bay sampling a variety of chili. While everyone was having a great time, lots of chefs were stirring their pots, dressing up their booths or enticing guests to taste their creations. The 18 chili-making participants were: Market Place Home Mortgage, Spice Girls Cooking […]

Construction Defects Fix is Not So Easy

LAW MATTERS

Hurricane Irma whirled through our area one year ago. Screen enclosures and roofs took the brunt of Irma’s wrath, but many structures suffered more severe damage. Some contractors did less than stellar repairs. After waiting months for work to start, many homeowners found their hired contractor would either not perform or did a terrible job. In some cases, the home […]

DWC of Marco Meets Council Candidates

The October meeting of the Democratic Women’s Club (DWC) of Marco opened with a City Council Candidate forum at the Mackle Park Community Center. Former Marco Island City Councilor, Larry Sacher acted as moderator and introduced the candidates: Erik Brechnitz, Jim Richards, Victor Rios, Jerry Swiacki, and Sam Young. Each candidate spoke for five minutes about his platform and qualifications. […]

Newcomers Celebrate Halloween With Fun, Frivolity & Friendship

Five years ago, I was announced as a new member of Newcomers of Marco Island and experienced my very first Newcomers Halloween Luncheon, where I was in awe of the club’s sense of whimsy and camaraderie. This month, I was sad to experience my last one. You see, to be a member of Newcomers of Marco Island, one must be […]

Serve It Up

Coach Wayne’s Corner

The serve in both tennis and pickleball is a vital and important part of the strategy of the game. In the sport of tennis, being the server gives you the advantage of having first strike opportunity to take strategic control of the point. Because of the fact that you have two serves, you have the option of going for a […]

Category Pages are limited to 365 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.