Ask the CFP

Luck is No Substitute for Knowledge

Ask the CFP

“Confidence comes from discipline and training.” ~ Robert Kiyosaki, American Businessman and Author of “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” (1947 –  ). Question: Even though the market has gained back most of what it lost at the end of 2018 I’m still concerned and uncomfortable with volatility. What tips can you provide to help prepare for the next inevitable downturn? Answer: […]

Hedge Your Bets

Ask the CFP

“Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount.”  ~ Clare Boothe Luce, U.S. Congressman, Ambassador and Author (1903-1987) Question:  What is a “bond ladder”? Answer:  A bond ladder is a portfolio of bonds with maturity dates spread over months and years in regular intervals. In other words, it’s a technique used by bond investors to hedge their […]

Recession or Sustainable Recovery?

Ask the CFP

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” ~ Harry S. Truman Question:  Do you think we’ll have a recession in 2019? Answer: Based on Harry S. Truman’s quote, the answer would be that it’s not very like that we’ll have a recession based on labor markets and employment rates. In […]

12 Suggestions for 2019

Ask The CFP® Practitioner

“Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory.” ~ William Barclay, Scottish author and theologian (1907- 1978) Question: What recommendations do you have as we begin 2019? Answer: Focusing on the elements we are able to influence is a realistic way to approach 2019. The tumultuous nature of 2018 served as […]

Fighting Fear with Facts

“It is a present because it is a gift, and it is precious because anyone who receives such a present is happy forever. The precious present is just that, the present.”                                     ~ Excerpt from “The Precious Present,”     by Spenser Johnson    […]

Let’s Step It Up

“Courage is an accumulation of small steps.”                     ~ George Konrad, Hungarian Novelist Question: I’m in the midst of year-end tax planning and have questions about the cost basis of stock. Under what circumstances can it be increased? Answer: The dictionary definition of cost basis is the original value of an asset used […]

Proactive, Not Reactive

“The beginning is the most important part of the work.”               ~ Plato, Classical Greek Philosopher Question: Could you highlight possible items to review before year-end that may provide tax-savings? This would be a perfect follow up to the last column on tax reform changes. Answer: There are a few items you can consider […]

Breaking the Code

“Unless you know the code, it has no meaning.”   ~ John Connolly, Irish Author,  from “The Book of Lost Things.” Question: Would you outline last year’s tax law changes? I’m ready to do some year-end planning. Answer: Exemptions, deductions, expenses and credits all underwent a few tweaks in 2017. You’re smart to look at the changes as 2018 comes […]

Do I Need a Financial Advisor?

“Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy.” ~ John Bogle, Founder,the Vanguard Group Question: I’m trying to decide if I should work with a financial advisor. Understandably, I expect you’ll say yes, but can you explain why and provide specific reasons? Answer: Well, you are right, I do recommend that in most instances there are benefits to working with […]

No Expiration Date

“Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.” ~ Nido Qubein, President of High Point University Question: Your last column was on the length of this bull market. What could end the positive momentum? Answer: The same factors that cause markets to go up can bring them down. Detrimental changes in employment figures, […]

Category Pages are limited to 365 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.