Ask the CFP

Yeah Science!

Ask The CFP® Practitioner

“We forget that the water cycle and the life cycle are one.” ~ Jacques Yves Cousteau (1910-1997) Question: What can be done about the dwindling supply of fresh water in the world? Answer: The earth is a closed-water system meaning that the earth does not lose or gain water over time. Our population however continues to grow, placing greater demands […]

The Amazon Phenomenon

“Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion and knowledge.” ~ Plato Several weeks ago we addressed growth trends for online shopping and the impact on consumer behavior. Today we’ll continue that conversation. The online shopping experience is typically a more cost-efficient proposition for companies when compared to a traditional brick and mortar (B&M) retail space model. This led […]

A Taxing Ordeal

“The best way to teach your kids about taxes is by eating 30% of their ice cream.”                     ~ Bill Murray, Comedian The last column mentioned that today we’d examine how online shopping and the internet are influencing retail space. Since that time I’ve received questions regarding income tax preparation. Today […]

Makers, Takers, and Stuff

ASK THE CFP® PRACTITIONER

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.” ~ Saint Augustine China’s Belt Road Initiative (BRI) or One Belt One Road (OBOR) was introduced in the last column with a promise to expand on the concept in this issue. As a refresher, the purpose of China’s OBOR project is to provide expanded and […]

Should Your Financial Plan Address Addiction?

“It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.” ~ Earl Weaver, Hall of Fame Major League Baseball Manager Question: Our oldest son deals with substance abuse issues. He’s doing well now, but what if something changes in the future? Are there ways to protect his inheritance? Answer: Substance abuse is a sensitive matter in many ways. Understanding […]

Who’s Looking Out for You?

“Never be afraid to ask questions, especially of yourself; discovery is the mission of life.” ~ Brian Kates, Film Editor Question: My mom has Alzheimer’s. I’m concerned that I could face this same situation. What do you suggest I do regarding my future wealth and health planning? Answer: I’m sorry about your mother. We went through this with my mom […]

Navigating Medicare

“Don’t agonize. Organize.” ~Florynce Kennedy, American Lawyer (1916-2000) Question: What do I need to know about the Medicare Open Enrollment Period? Answer: The Medicare open enrollment period began October 15 and runs through December 7, 2017 allowing participants to make changes that will become effective January 1, 2018. This an opportunity to make any necessary adjustments so participants will have […]

Risky Business

“Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.” ~ George S. Patton (1885-1945) Question: How much and what kind of insurances do I need? Answer: Following Hurricane Irma, this is a relevant and vital question. The answer of course depends on a number of personalized variables. Managing potential risks that could ultimately destroy an otherwise rocksolid financial plan […]

Naples Concert Band’s Season Schedule

Marco Patriots and our entire community are great examples of locals staying together to help one another. Finally, the best way to reduce risk is to ask for help and work with professionals. We all owe a great deal of gratitude to our first responders: firefighters, EMTs, police, LCEC, FPL and many, many others who have sacrificed their needs in […]

What’s a Buck Really Worth?

“The value of a dollar is social, as it is created by society.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson Question: How is the value of the U.S. dollar determined? Answer: Simply stated, a dollar’s value equals how much “stuff” it will purchase. The more realistic response is what I hear whenever I ask our granddaughter Averie how her day went; “It’s complicated […]

Category Pages are limited to 365 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.