The Marco Island Center for the Arts 2019 Young Artist Academy winners have been announced. Talented student artists explored the mediums of clay, mixed media and photography. Sandy Moore Howe taught the popular clay class. Lisette Morales is a storytelling photographer and she instructed the students in this manner of using the camera. Marjorie Pesek had her students cut and paste their way to create a mixed media masterpiece. This year’s students did not fail to surprise and delight their teachers, as well as the judges: Emily James, Mary Kane, Anastasia Leptich and Gary Landis.
The free Young Artist Academy provides students the opportunity to learn art techniques and further develop their skills. The Art Center is pleased to share the name of the winners. Each student won a cash award.
- 1st Place: Zoe Swift – Photography – 10th Grade.
- 2nd Place: Izzy Lowers – Mixed Media – 9th Grade.
- 3rd Place: Laura Alvarado – Clay – 9th Grade.
- Honorable Mention: Amira Compton – Mixed Media – 7th Grade.
The work of the 2019 Young Artist Academy students who attended all of the classes were on display in the Art Center’s Atrium. For some of the students, this was the first public exhibition of their art!
Save the Date
- December 3rd–5th: The Festival of Trees, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Free.
- December 3rd: Visit with Santa, 4:00 – 6:00 PM, Free.
- December 3rd: Gingerbread House Party, 4:00 – 5:30 PM, $10 / $15.
- December 13th: Victorian Holiday Tea, 3:00 – 5:00 PM, Free.
Mission: To Promote Education and Appreciation of the Arts
Founded in 1969 by a dedicated group of artists and patrons, the non-profit Art Center has developed into a place to gather, to learn and to become inspired. The program offerings include classes and workshops for adults and children. The Art Center brings a wide variety of arts to the community including visual, music, literature, and special presentations. It is a showcase for local, national and international artists in many disciplines. The Marco Island Center for the Arts is located on 1010 Winterberry Drive, Marco Island, FL 34145. For more information, contact them at 239-394-4221 or marcoislandart.org.