Mark Strain was the guest speaker for the Republican Club of South Collier County (RCSCC) for their November meeting held at Hammock Bay Country Club. Strain provided the invited guests with Collier County numbers, trends, updates for 2020.
Mark Strain is the Collier County Hearing Examiner and Chairman of the Collier County Planning Commission. He has lived in all parts of the country and still thinks Collier County is the best place to live.
Things you need to know about Collier County:
- There are five political districts based on population (approximately 70,000 residents in each district). They are geographically different in size.
- District 1 is Donna Fiala’s district, which includes Marco Island.
- Marco Island has a population of 17,094 in 23.4 square miles.
- Everglades City has a population of 408 with 1.2 square miles.
- Collier County’s 2020 population estimate – 382,800 countywide in 2305 square miles.
- Total Collier County size is 1,472,200 acres – largest of the 67 counties in Florida.
- 77.44% of Collier County is under conservation preservation – you can’t build on it.
- Less than 25% of Collier County can be developed and is geographically confined. We all have to fit into less than 25% for development. And according to Strain, this is one reason Collier County will never be the next Miami.
Strain estimates by the year 2040, approximately 535,426 people will be living in Collier County with a forecasted 7,027 new residents per year. For 2040, Marco Island’s population is forecasted to be at 20,458.
Where are the people coming from? According to Lending Tree State Migration Analysis (where residents are looking to move in each state), Florida is the Number 1 destination. It was the top new destination for 15 of the 50 states.
Why We Are… Number 1:
Strain was happy to report that Naples ranks as the Number 1 best beach town to live in for 2019. The study looked into six factors to reach its conclusion: affordability, weather, safety, education, health and quality of life.
For the fourth year in a row, “Naples and metro areas” was voted the happiest and healthiest community in the USA. It was awarded the Community Well Being rankings for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
People are living longer! Collier County is ranked 10 out of 3,142 counties in the United States where people tend to live the longest – 83.4 years. (Number 1 was Summit County, Colorado – 86.8 years).
According to the Collier County Sheriff’s Report, Collier County has the lowest crime rate ever in recorded history (1971). Crime is down 64.2% from 2000 to 2018 and down 3.5% in 2018 from 2017.
Please save the date: December 11th – the speaker for RCSCC will be Father Orsi, Parochial Vicar of St. Agnes Catholic Church, Naples. The public may visit marcogop.org to register. For questions contact
Len Schuman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-640-7564.