The Tamiami Trail (from Tampa to Miami) was a brilliant engineering feat, conquering the once impenetrable Everglades and stands out as a picturesque link between the two coasts of Florida. Barron Gift Collier invested much of his personal wealth in building the Tamiami Trail, a gigantic project to link Florida’s east and west coasts with a modern highway across the Everglades. The road was completed and opened to traffic on April 26, 1928.
Establishing a museum was the dream of the Everglades Women’s Club, which eventually evolved into the Friends of the Museum of the Everglades, under the leadership of the late Pauline Reeves, for whom the museum’s front gallery is named. The Museum of the Everglades was opened 20 years ago on the 70th anniversary of the Trail.We will also be commemorating the 65th Anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Everglades City in 1953 and the 95th Anniversary of the establishment of Collier County in 1923.
The celebrations will start at 10 AM on Saturday, April 28, at the Museum of the Everglades, located at 105 West Broadway in Everglades City, Florida. Festivities will include a parade, live music, food, and fun for all the family as well as a walking tour of historic buildings and the “old timers” storytelling. This event is free and open to the public.For more information, see the Friends’ website www.evergladesmuseum.org or email them at FME_ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pauline Reeves Gallery
The current exhibit explores Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ life and career – focusing on her seminal book “The Everglades – River of Grass.” A special section of this exhibit will highlight the work of artist Robert “Bob” Fink, whose illustrations appeared in the first and most of the subsequent editions of the book. The exhibit also features the first ever display of an original block print by Mr. Fink – done as a study for the book’s cover. The print was donated to the Museum by Mr. Fink’s stepson at last year’s festival.
Damaged by a fire in the artist’s studio during the 1950s, it was recently conserved, restored, and framed specially for inclusion in this exhibit. It is an exciting acquisition for our Museum and a mustsee artifact for all of our visitors. It will remain on display through March 31.