The Rotary Club of Marco Island Sunrise presented its Unsung Hero Award for Third Quarter, 2018 to Carl “Bruce” Osborn. Bruce was awarded for his services as a volunteer with Avow Hospice.
Bruce is always willing to help and devotes an extraordinary amount of time to volunteer work with Avow Hospice. Bruce’s contributions to our community include:
- He makes the initial bereavement calls to loved ones after the patient passes.
- He is a member of their Veterans Task Force.
- He assists in Veteran events.
- He represents Avow Hospice along with their community outreach liaison, Mark Beland, throughout Collier County.
- He assists in bereavement support groups when the need arises.
- He sits/vigils with patients who are at the end of life so they do not die alone.
- He provides companionship and respite care to fellow veterans that are Avow patients.
He does all of these, and more, with great compassion and empathy.
As Sunrise Rotary’s Unsung Hero, Bruce was awarded a plaque commemorating the recognition. In addition, the Club will donate $100 to a charity of Bruce’s choice and 20 polio vaccines in his name as part of Rotary International’s effort to eradicate polio.
The Unsung Hero award recognizes a member of the Marco Island community who unselfishly helps others and who has not generally been recognized for such service. The recipient either works, lives or provides service on Marco Island.
Sunrise Rotary is now accepting nominations for the fourth quarter 2018 Unsung Hero. Please submit nomination to Chairman Bill Morris at 247 North Collier Blvd., Suite 202, Marco Island 34145 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.