Step Smart Collier and IBERIABANK will host a free fall prevention program on Thursday, March 12th, at the Marco Island branch located at 605 Bald Eagle Drive. While this free program is open to the public, it is suggested RVSP’s be made by calling 239-393-2400. This free program focuses on fall prevention, the leading cause of injury and death to Collier County seniors.
Every 15 seconds somewhere in the United States, a senior is seen in an Emergency Room for a fall-related injury. The average death rate for seniors who have fallen in Collier County is 55% higher than the state of Florida.
- 60% of falls happen in the senior’s home.
- 70% of those occur in the bathroom!
- One in four seniors fall each year.
- 20% of those are hospitalized
- 11% never return home.
- 50% of those hospitalized pass away within one year!
The event will include:
- Complimentary balance testing with a written report from 3 PM till 5:30 PM.
- Presentation at 6 PM on fall prevention by Keith Dameron, CEO, Retired.
NOTE: Mr. Dameron’s presentation will include important steps that can be taken by seniors to reduce their fall risk in the home. Each guest will receive a copy of the Step Smart Home Safety Check List with 100 easy/inexpensive steps that can be taken in the home broken down room by room.
Falling is not an inevitable part of aging. Medical experts say there are smart steps that can be taken to reduce a senior’s risk of falling. Most of the smart steps involve common-sense actions easily and inexpensively taken to assure a senior’s ability to age in place.