Step Smart Collier and The Arlington will host a Senior Fall Prevention Program from 2 to 4 PM on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 in the Cultural Arts Center at The Arlington Resort Retirement Community, 7900 Arlington Circle, Naples.
This free event focuses on fall prevention- the leading cause of injury and death to seniors. It will feature table displays and demonstrations by the Supporting Partners of Step Smart Collier and a formal presentation on the steps seniors can take to reduce the risk of falling.
Guests may visit table displays and see demonstrations including:
- Walgreens Pharmacist: Medication management/evaluation;
- Sunshine Ace Hardware: Home/condo fall prevention items display;
- Lee Health Systems: Complimentary balance testing with written report;
- Complimentary hearing and vision screening with reports;
- NCH: Exercise physiologist and Tai-Chi demonstration and tips;
- Mr. Grabbar explaining importance of proper installation;
- Collier County EMS: Information on emergencies & 911;
- Solaris Wellness & Rehab: Complimentary balance testing;
- Collier County Sheriff’s Office: Senior directed fraud and scam information.
- At 2:15 PM there will be a special Main Stage presentation on fall prevention by Keith Dameron, CEO Step Smart Collier.
Falls are the leading cause of death and injury for seniors.
- 1 of 3 seniors fall annually.
- 20% of seniors who fall are hospitalized with moderate to serious injuries.
- 11% never return home.
- 50% of those hospitalized pass away within one year.
- 60% of falls happen in the senior’s home.
- Average fall death rate in Collier County is 55% higher than the state of Florida.
“There is no greater threat to Collier County seniors than suffering injury, disability or death from a fall. Learning ways to prevent falls increases a senior’s quality of life which is the mission of Step Smart Collier,” explains Keith Dameron, CEO of Step Smart Collier.
The Step Smart Collier’s Fall Prevention event is free and open to the public. Participants are encouraged to bring a list of their medications (prescriptions and over-the-counter) to discuss with a Walgreen’s pharmacist and participate in the free balance test.
For more information call Keith Dameron at 239-734-1021 or email email@example.com.