The Sailing Association of Marco Island (SAMI) recently held its 47th annual Change of Watch ceremony and dinner at the Marco Island Yacht Club. Forty-three members and guests participated in the ceremony and enjoyed a delicious dinner afterward.
Seven SAMI past commodores in attendance were recognized: Don Mills (1983 and 1984), Russ Rainey (1991), Pat Rainey (1994), Tom Collins (1997), Lee Henderson (2008), Herman Diebler (2010), and Mary Lee Cale (2013). Paul Tateo, son of SAMI founding members Vince and Helen Tateo, began the Flag Ceremony by lowering the flag of outgoing Commodore Ken Bardon. This was followed by Commodore Bardon sounding eight bells for the late Vice Commodore Phil Litow, who passed away this past summer, and also sounding eight bells for all SAMI members no longer with us.
Outgoing bridge members were recognized and thanked for their service, and incoming bridge members were introduced. For 2017, these are Commodore Ken Bardon (for a second year), Vice Commodore Micki Gobeil, Rear Commodore Peter Coggins, Secretary Leigh Breeden, Treasurer Mary Lee Cale, and Fleet Captain Rob Reiley.
SAMI is the oldest sailing club still in existence in Collier County and welcomes new members for monthly meetings, cruises and other events. SAMI sponsors two regattas annually: the Ladies Day Race, scheduled for April 22, 2017 and the Bud Light Regatta to benefit the Civil Patrol, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and the Marco Island Community Sailing Center, scheduled for April 8-9, 2017.
For more information on SAMI events visit www.samisailor.org. For more information about becoming a member, contact membership chairperson Robin Singer at 419-376-1387.