NATIONAL CONTEST TARGETS TEN REGIONS ACROSS THE UNITED STATES
– Ten schools from across the U.S. will win $1,000 grant for drug prevention –
– Ten families will win an iPad for the home –
The National Family Partnership® (NFP) announces the national contest for its 27th annual Red Ribbon Week®, Oct. 23-31. Red Ribbon Week is the oldest and largest drug prevention campaign in the country. In 1985 after the murder of a DEA agent, parents, youth and teachers in communities across the country began wearing Red Ribbons as a symbol of their commitment to raise awareness of the destruction caused by drugs. This year, families can get involved by entering a contest to promote awareness in their neighborhoods and win a drug prevention grant for their schools.
Families can enter Red Ribbon Week’s® contest to win a $1,000 grant for their school and a new iPad for their home. To participate in the contest families and students will decorate the front of their homes with this year’s message: “The Best Me Is Drug FreeTM.”
Here’s how students and their families can enter to win $1,000 for their K-12 school and a new iPad:
- Students bring the Red Ribbon Week® message home by working alongside parents to decorate their front door, mailbox, fence, etc. with this year’s theme “The Best Me Is Drug Free™.”
- Take a photo with the family and their Red Ribbon Week® decoration, then upload to www.redribbon.org/contest or www.facebook.com/RedRibbonWeek by Nov. 2 (must be parents or 18+ to upload photos).
- The voting begins! Ask family and friends to vote for your entry at www.redribbon.org/vote Nov. 2-16. Ten lucky winners from regions across the U.S. will win. Winners will be announced at events at their winning schools in December.
“Students will once again take Red Ribbon Week’s® message of prevention home to their neighborhoods with this national contest,” said the NFP’s Volunteer President Peggy Sapp. “By decorating their homes together with this year’s Red Ribbon theme, families carry the message to their communities.” The nation’s oldest and largest drug prevention campaign reaches more than 80 million people nationwide.
The DEA is co-sponsoring this year’s national contest. “DEA is excited to partner with the National Family Partnership® on this contest that empowers communities to come together to talk about the drug problem,” said DEA Administrator Michele M. Leonhart. “Red Ribbon Week® is also when we honor DEA Special Agent Enrique ‘Kiki’ Camarena, who made the ultimate sacrifice to keep our communities safe.”
Adds the NFP’s Peggy Sapp: “Take the Red Ribbon Week® pledge across America to help children grow up safe, healthy and drug free.” Visit www.redribbon.org/contest for contest information.