This letter is to state our opposition to the new Rental Ordinance or at a minimum our opposition to include condominiums. We are opposed to reopening and reconsidering the ordinance which recently passed.
We have owned a condo on Marco Island for 11 years and have never had any issues in which this new ordinance proposes to solve.
We are opposed because:
- There are no problems reported at the Gulfview. Problems should be analyzed before sweeping all condominiums into an ordinance proposed to solve a problem in single family home neighborhoods. It is highly likely problems could be eliminated within the condominium community by the governing boards.
- A new ordinance will need city staff and funding to implement which we haven’t planned budget.
- Implementation will be an unnecessary burden in every step which must be absorbed by the owner, renter, board, condo management, rental agent plus the city.
- Gulfview and other condos have rules and regulations in place to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.
- If there is a problem with tax collections, it not the city’s responsibility to address.
- The city has never collected rental statistics and has not demonstrated a need or benefit to do so.
We have many serious issues to address with bridges, roads, traffic, rapid growth, zoning, schools, fire and police services and more. These areas deserve the City Council’s attention and our budget.
Jane and Fred Schuh (owners)
58 N. Collier Blvd., #807 (Gulfview)
Marco Island, FL 34145