In 2020, Marco Island Center for the Arts celebrated 50 years of bringing art to Marco and beyond. It was to be a party that would last all year. The Space/Time Capsule was waiting to be filled with memorabilia, pictures, letters, stories, items and more. And then it happened… a global pandemic. And the world turned upside down.
For 2021, the campaign to load the Space/Time Capsule is being relaunched and we need YOU. The decision was made to not seal the capsule until early 2022 so there is time to create a legacy and launch your voice into the future. There are so many ways you, your family, your friends, your organization and your business can participate.
The Monthly “Fill The Capsule” Online Contest—each month we will hold an online contest with a new theme. The monthly contest themes will go out via Marco Island Center for the Arts email blast, Marco Island Center for the Arts social media and will be on the Art Center website. Entries can be either submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Art Center. The rules for the monthly contests can be downloaded from Marco Island Center for the Arts’ website marcoislandart.org/space-time-capsule, as well as the themes for each month. While there will be a drawing to select one winner each month who will receive a special prize, any submission may be chosen to appear in the Art Center’s newsletter, social media, collateral or website. The Art Center needs YOU—our community and family—to contribute and be a part of the success of this project. Join us today and launch your voice into the future with your very own unique submission.
Besides the monthly contests, additional items can be put in the Space/Time Capsule in accordance with the submission guidelines and may include images, creative writing, artwork and memorabilia. All items must be accompanied by the submission form. The general submission guidelines and forms can also be found at marcoislandart.org/space-time-capsule.
- March – Draw What You Think the Place Where You Live Will Look Like in 2070
- April – Write a letter to your future self or write a letter to your grandchildren or great-grandchildren. Make sure to let them know the capsule will be opened in 2070 and there will be something in there for them.
- May – What Grows Where You Are? Photos, drawing, written descriptions of flowers, plants, trees, landscapes… you can even send in seeds.
- June – Write A Poem About Living in Paradise.
- July – Submit images (photos, drawings, paintings, mixed media) of how you celebrate July 4th/Independence Day!
- August – What Did You Do On Your Summer Holiday or What Did You Do This Summer. Submissions can be either images or a narrative or a story.
- September – Your Favorite Book and Why? Can be an image or a review of the book.
- October – Submit a photo of yourself in your favorite outfit. Fashions change and folks in the future may be surprised at what we wear now.
- November – Give Thanks! What are you thankful for? Send a picture or write about who or what you appreciate in your life.
- December – Winter Holidays. Submit an image or small item that will be your holiday gift to the future.