On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 11:12 AM the Marco Island Police Department was dispatched to a residence on Rose Court in reference to a medical emergency. While in route, dispatch advised that there was a male who was not alert and not breathing.
According to a statement from Marco Island Police Captain Dave Baer:
I arrived on scene, grabbed my AED and medical bag and observed a Hispanic male laying on the ground near a large extension ladder. Two males being flown off Marco Island after a ladder they were using at a residence came into contact with an electrical line. Marco Island Fire Rescue, Police Department and Collier County EMS responded and assisted. There was a language barrier but I was able to determine that the male employee of the gutter company had been moving a ladder when it came in contact with a hot power line and the employee was electrocuted. Another employee was sitting off to the side and had also come into contact with the ladder when it touched the hot powerline. Both males were transported by Marco Island EMS to 40 South Heathwood Drive where they were flown via helicopter to a trauma center.
The ladder involved in this incident was collected and taken to the police station at 51 Bald Eagle Drive where it was placed in the sallyport and entered into property for safekeeping.