Saturday, October 31, 2020

In Memory of Roy Eaton – Author, Teacher, Coach…and Friend

Naples writer Roy Eaton passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday, October 15, 2019. Roy was a beloved teacher and coach for over 25 years. A talented writer and author, Roy was a valued contributor and dear friend to Coastal Breeze News and its staff.

During Roy’s “retirement” he wrote and published over 34 short stories, essays and editorials, and seven books. Roy was honored by the Florida Press Association with a Second Place Editorial Award for “Reclaiming Empowerment: How the American Voter Can Hold Congress Accountable,” which appeared in this paper.

Roy Eaton was born in New London, Connecticut on April 23, 1946. The town honored him for a lifetime of achievements, including his uniquely designed homes and innovative concepts.

Roy was a member of the St. Bernard Athletic Hall of Fame, the New York Military Sport Hall of Fame, and the New London Connecticut Athletic Hall of Fame. In 2006, Roy was awarded the lifetime achievement award in wrestling at the National Sport Achievement award gala held on Marco Island.

Coaching future Hall of Famer Rob Murphy at St. Bernard High School.

Roy attended the prestigious New York Military Academy in Cornwall, New York , where he received many awards, including the GFA Riley Sabre for leadership, compassion and understanding. In his senior year he was Cadet Captain.

During his years at the New York Military Academy, Roy formed a friendship with fellow cadet, President Donald Trump. The two formed a decades-long friendship, and President Trump endorsed two of Roy’s books, “Soldier Boy” and “Makers, Shakers and Takers.”

Roy received both Senator Dodd Sr. and Congressman St. Onge’s principal appointments to West Point.

Roy accepted a scholarship to attend the Pennsylvania Military College where he majored in business administration. In his senior year he became the only student in the college’s history to be elected senior class president, student government president and brigade honor court president.

At Pennsylvania Military College, Roy was a member of the Pershing Rifles National Champion Drill Team and the wrestling team; was an officer on the Cadet Bridge Staff; received the David Wilson Memorial Sabre for Leadership and the Pennsylvania Military College Service Award; was named an outstanding member of the Corp of Cadets by the college president; and received the Military’s Distinguished Student Award. Infantry Magazine recognized Roy for his accomplishments.

Roy with his sister, Christina.

11 responses to “In Memory of Roy Eaton – Author, Teacher, Coach…and Friend”

1. Mike Gallagher says:

Bless you Roy Eaton

2. Kimberly W Berg says:

Debbie our thoughts and prayers are with you at your time of loss. Teri, Paul, and I send our live and condolences. If I can do anything, please let me know.

3. Bill Robarge says:

Roy was not only my coach in wrestling, he was my hero. He helped turn me into the man I am today. I could never thank him enough for what he has given me; I’m so very grateful to have had him in my life.
    Coach Roy Eaton will never be forgotten

4. Rockwell Wagner says:

Roy was a great coach and friend. We will miss him very much.

5. Caroline Traynor Chapman says:

I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I had him for 2 years as a math teacher and he changed my life. I started high school with zero confidence in math and was a math tutor by the time I graduated. That was all thanks to him. He was so patient and very kind. All these years later I was just speaking about his class not too long ago because he was a phenomenal educator.
    My condolences to his family and friends.

6. I would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Roy. He was a mentor and a leader in all of his endeavors and will be missed. I have sent the information on his passing to the Academy and he will be remembered at our Memorial Services held next May.

Rest in Peace Cadet Eaton

7. Sad he was taken before his time. Debbie he expected much of us boys ,but I am certain we made him proud of what he drove us to accomplish. It’s not cliche To say we all left it on the mat – he showed us that we were capable of achieving and we all strived to give it our best with each of our God given abilities. Condolences to you and Christina.

8. To the family of Mr. Eaton, I am so very sorry for your loss, our loss. Mr. Eaton was an amazing teacher. In my junior year at St. Bernard’s (1972/73) he taught geometry. Of all the teachers I had between 1970 and 1974, Mr. Eaton ranked # 2 on my list, just behind my Freshman biology teacher, Mr. Blackstone. Both men were instrumental in teaching me the value of education, hard work, good communication skills, and never, be afraid, to be honest with your teachers, peers, and family. RIP Mr. Eaton, you are missed. Prayers and love goes out to his family and friends.

9. Don Manley says:

I feel fortunate to have spent time with and to have gotten to know someone like Roy Eaton.

10. Cindy Seibert says:

Deepest sympathy Debbie on Roy’s passing. He was such an accomplished writer and well respected by all he met.
    Hang onto those wonderful memories.

11. Mark wagner says:

I was honored to be part of the SBHS wrestling team my first year in 1974. I wasn’t very good but I knew Roy produced some of the best wrestlers in the State of Connecticut. His LEADERSHIP , that he learned as a young man. His Mental Toughness and his integrity was unquestionable.
    We are all so Blessed to have Roy touch our lives in such a profound way. We carry him with us in our Everyday lives …Forever.

Safe travels Home Roy! Lil Rock Freshman Wrestler Class of 1977 SBHS