Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Historic Site #9 Old Tamiami Trail Marker, Horse Creek Estates

SUBMITTED PHOTO

SUBMITTED PHOTO

By Coastal Breeze News Staff

A portion of the Horse Creek Estates subdivision contains an abandoned segment of the Old Tamiami Trail. The Tamiami Trail links the two great cities for which it was named, Tampa and Miami, and was officially opened April 26, 1928. Florida is indebted to Captain J.F. Jaudon, whose faith and persistence kept the project alive, and to Barron Collier, who completed it.

In their effort to increase public awareness of the importance and significance of Collier County’s historical and archaeological heritage, the Historic and Archaeological Preservation Board of Collier County produces a 28-page booklet featuring historic sites in Collier County. The 44 sites highlighted in the book are grouped together by proximity and shown on a locator map.

Historic Designation Process: the designation of specific sites, structures, buildings, districts and properties may be initiated by the Preservation Board or the property owner. Consideration of the Preservation Board’s findings and recommendations, and upon the consideration of the criteria and guidelines contained in the Land Development Code, the Board of County Commissioners either approves or denies the petition. The Board of County Commissioners has designated many of the sites and structures as locally significant.

For more information go to www.colliergov.net and click on Historic Archaeological & Preservation Board under Advisory Boards. Also see www.napleshistoricalsociety.org (Naples); www.themihs.com (Marco/Goodland); www.evergladeshistorical.org (Everglades City); and www.colliermuseums.com (County).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *