In 1921, Dr. Henry Nehrling established his tropical garden on this site, initially growing orchids, bromeliads and other tropical plants. By 1925 he had increased his collection to more than 3,000 different species. In 1952, the old Nehrling Gardens site was purchased by Julius Fleischmann, and was opened to the public in 1954 as a commercial tourist attraction under Fleischmann’s interest and guidance. Collier County purchased the property in 2005, and currently leases it to Naples Zoo, Inc.
In their effort to increase public awareness of the importance and significance of Collier County’s historical and archaeological heritage, the Historic and Archaeological Preservation Boardof Collier County produces a 28-page booklet featuring historic sites in Collier County. The 44 sites highlighted in the book are grouped together by proximity and shown on a locator map.
Historic Designation Process: the designation of specific sites, structures, buildings, districts and properties may be initiated by the Preservation Board or the property owner. Consideration of the Preservation Board’s findings and recommendations, and upon the consideration of the criteria and guidelines contained in the Land Development Code, the Board of County Commissioners either approves or denies the petition. The Board of County Commissioners has designated many of the sites and structures as locally significant.