Sunday, September 27, 2020

Historic Site #3 Mercantile Building 1117 Third Street South

SUBMITTED PHOTO

SUBMITTED PHOTO

By Coastal Breeze News Staff

Naples’ first commercial building was constructed in 1919. The Naples Mercantile Building served as the first commissary offering food and general merchandise for the Naples area. This two-story wood frame structure, covered with stucco, now operates as a restaurant.

In their effort to increase public awareness of the importance and significance of Collier County’s historical and archaeological heritage, the Historic and Archaeological Preservation Board of Collier County produces a 28-page booklet featuring historic sites in Collier County. The 44 sites highlighted in the book are grouped together by proximity and shown on a locator map.

Each of the sites listed was given the ‘historic’ designation by County Commissioners. The designation of specific sites, structures, buildings, districts and properties may be initiated by the Preservation Board or the property owner. Consideration of the Preservation Board’s findings and recommendations, and upon the consideration of the criteria and guidelines contained in the Land Development Code, the Board of County Commissioners either approves or denies the petition. The Board of County Commissioners has designated many of the sites and structures as locally significant.

For more information go to www.NaplesHistoricalSociety.org.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *