Bob and Betty Whitaker managed the Marco Hotel (now called the Old Marco Inn) and lived in the Collier House that was then situated between the hotel and the two-story motel that Bob Carrier built and named “the Units.” Carrier owned the hotel from 1955 to 1967. The Collier House was moved in 1967 to its present location on Bald Eagle Drive, and has operated as a restaurant since 1995. See www.mareksmarcoisland.com.
In their effort to increase public awareness of the importance and significance of Collier County’s historical and archaeological heritage, the Historic and Archaeological Preservation Board of Collier County produced a 28-page booklet featuring historic sites in Collier County. The 44 sites highlighted in the book are grouped together by proximity and shown on a locator map.
Historic Designation Process: the designation of specific sites, structures, buildings, districts and properties may be initiated by the Preservation Board or the property owner. Consideration of the Preservation Board’s findings and recommendations, and upon the consideration of the criteria and guidelines contained in the Land Development Code, the Board of County Commissioners either approves or denies the petition. The Board of County Commissioners has designated many of the sites and structures as locally significant.
For more information go to www.colliergov.net and click on Historic Archaeological & Preservation Board under Advisory Boards. Also see www.napleshistoricalsociety.org (Naples); www.themihs.com (Marco/Goodland); www.evergladeshistorical.org (Everglades City); and www.colliermuseums.com (Collier County).