Bright and early on the morning of July 25th Marco resident Curtis Bostick and his son, fishing guide, Captain Andrew Bostick, headed out in the their flats boat for a trip to Grocery Place to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the day Bostick’sgrandfather, Joseph W. Bostick, completed a rain cistern he had constructed there. It was built for the use of the sugar cane plantation that existed at that time. Amazingly they managed to enjoy their visit without the swarms of mosquitoes that must have been a constant plague when it was being used.
While there they also viewed the remains of another cistern built by Joseph Bostick and E.J. Morgan in 1914. The cisterns have been surprisingly sturdy considering that they were built of tabby mortar and quite a bit of themis still in evidence allowing the names of those who constructed them and the dates they were built to still be seen. In recent years there has been more damage to the cisterns as the area is now a part of a 13 mile canoe route within the Collier-Seminole State Park.