When former councilor Sam Young unexpectedly resigned from the seat he held after only eighteen months, the Marco City Council was obliged to fill that vacancy for the next five months until the election in November 2020. At that time, citizens will be called upon to elect a candidate for the 2 years remaining on Young’s term, as well as vote on candidates to fill four open council seats with 4-year terms.
At the May 4th City Council Meeting, councilors set May 12th as the deadline to receive applications for the five-month interim position. Those applying included the following:
- Dr. Richard Blonna, an author/educator of publications and books regarding stress and how to relieve it in your life.
- Gregory Folley, a retired executive with Caterpillar with over two decades of experience and retiring as President of Caterpillar Logistics and Vice President of Caterpillar Inc.
- Ron Goldstein, a retired dentist from Philadelphia and Cape May, NJ. and Planning Board Member.
- Phares Heindl, a local attorney and former member of the Waterways Committee.
- Joseph Rola, a retired Engineering Development Manager from Northup-Grumman, and a Planning Board Member
Councilors will vote to narrow the field to three at their meeting on May 18th, which will allow them to meet with those choices so they may make a final decision at their meeting on June 1st.
The May 18th and June 1st meeting will both begin sharply at 5:30 PM in Council Chambers.