NSC offers multiple weekly support groups for individuals with early to mid-stage dementia.
Full-time resident volunteers are needed for our dementia respite support groups on Mondays and Wednesdays at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on Marco Island.
All of our volunteers are integral to the successful running of this program. They help to create a safe and comfortable environment for our participants.
Dementia Group volunteers assist our professional staff with a group of members in the early to mid-stage dementia on a regular basis. Volunteer opportunities with varying activities, including computer “games,” memory quizzes, chair exercises, music and art therapy, serving lunch, and more.
- Assisting the social worker in greeting clients and providing name tags.
- Playing memory games on the computer and assisting the clients with answers.
- Quizzing clients on various memory subjects, such as “Today in History.”
- Serving lunch and assisting clients as needed.
- Leading discussions among clients.
- Assisting clients with art and craft projects and/or music therapy.
- Committed and dependable (volunteers are needed from 10 AM – 3 PM every week on Wednesdays and/or to fill in as needed on Mondays and Wednesdays).
- Calm and patient demeanor.
- Ability to sit, stand, and/or walk around for long periods of time, rearrange tables and chairs, bend, and light lifting.
- Complete background check including fingerprinting.
For more information on volunteering with our dementia group, contact Manager of Volunteer Services, Marna Barany, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 239-325-4444.