First things first, as of Dec. 1, Collier County will add an additional EMS vehicle to Marco Island.
* Last week, my friends Shirlee and Brian Barcic and I decided to have dinner at the Bistro Soleil, located at the Olde Marco Inn. Now, I’ve been to many events at the Bistro and always enjoyed them, but have never just had dinner there with friends. What an outstanding experience THAT was! It felt very special to enjoy a dining experience in this historic place. The service was just wonderful, the food was so good it makes my mouth water just thinking about it (oh my goodness, I haven’t tasted roasted potatoes like that since my mother made them), and the ambience was a beautiful experience.
While there, we witnessed another Marco form of entertainment: “Marco Murder and Mayhem,” the Historical Frightseeing Tour of Marco Island, with tour guide Gina Sisbarro, which starts with a drink at the Bistro Soleil. The trolley tour was sold out with happy fun-seekers. Check their website at www.MarcoMurderandMayhem.vpweb.com, or call 239-537-8353.
Marco’s “frightful past” comes alive with tales of hard times, hostile tribes and lawless crimes that led to murder— many unsolved to this day. It sounds like an enjoyable adventure. It’s always fun to find something new to try for a little entertainment. They also offer private tours upon request.
* Port of the Islands has been requesting road signs to be placed on U.S. 41 E. in front of their facility for a long time, which would announce their boat launch, ramps and storage. They have not had a response until recently. The FDOT has stated that since there is a small charge for the boat launch they are prohibited from erecting road signs because it would appear that the state of Florida is promoting one business over another. So with this column, I would like to announce that the Port of the Island’s Boat Launch is open to the public.
* My annual community tours are again in place. They fill up pretty quickly, so if you see one or two of them that appeal to you, please call Alex in my office at 239-252-8601 to sign up. We can usually hold about 30 people. There have been a couple tours that filled up so fast and had so many extra on the wait list that we were able to arrange to double the participants if the agency could accommodate us.
Usually we have five tours, but we have one out there awaiting possible approval. If not approved, we’ll schedule another one to fill the spot. One of the tours is the County Landfill. It will surprise you to see this facility. We will ride up to the top of a closed cell and watch the open-faced cell at work. You will be amazed at this clean, odor-free operation, plus you will also see the gas to energy facility on the premises. Many landfill operations in Florida and other states come to see this operation and look for direction to improve their own facility, which the County is happy to provide. Here is what is planned:
- North Water Reclamation Facility and North Naples Recycling Drop Off Center, Thursday, Dec. 11, 2 PM.
- Naples Daily News Building at 1100 Immokalee Rd.,Friday, Jan. 16, 2 PM.
- Ave Maria, Thursday, Feb. 5, 12:30 PM (The folks at Ave Maria will provide a bus for 40 participants to ride together to the site, leaving from the Collier County Government Center.)
- Collier County Landfill, Thursday, March 12, 10 AM.
These tours include walking, climbing stairs and standing, so please wear comfortable shoes. In most cases, the participants will use their own transportation to the site. The tours are free because we provide no transportation or food, but you will receive lots of great information and education. We hope you will join us this year.
* Dec. 2 will be the joint meeting of the Marco Island City Council and the Collier County Commissioners to be held at the County Government Center at 1 PM. We hope you will join us for this workshop. Speakers will be welcome. Please take a speaker slip from outside the Commission Chamber and submit it to the County Attorney. You will be given three minutes to present your questions or comments.
Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your family with love!