It’s February — the month of love. Wouldn’t it be lovely if all through the month we treated each other with loving kindness and respect, and loved our neighbor as we love our friends? And make sure your family knows how much you love THEM! Happy Valentine’s Day! Don’t forget to treat your special Valentine with love and a little token of your devotion.
• You’ll love the Erich Kunzel Concert Series presented by the Bayshore Cultural and Performing Arts Center, which continues with their next program on Friday, Feb. 7, at 7 PM at Edison State College on Lely Cultural Boulevard. It’s an exciting evening of dance with performances from classical ballet with Naples Ballet, fast-stepping Celtic dance with Tir Na Nog Academy of Irish Dance, Argentine Tango with Pablo Repun and Vicky Sierra and theater-style belly dance. Naples Ballet students will present several excerpts from the ballet “Don Quixote.” Tir Na Nog dancers will perform “Piper’s Playground,” “Celtic Dream,” “We Want to Play,” “Ladies of the Dance” and more. Pablo Repun and dance partner Vicky Sierra will perform a tango program to include traditional tango selection “Gallo Ciego” and more. Professional belly dancer Inara combines grace and elegance with exotic mystery and excitement in her performances. Concert tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for students, and can be ordered at www.bayshorecapa.org or by calling 239-775-2800.
• As a side note, Marci Seamples, a lady who grew up on Marco Island, has just been named executive director for the Bayshore CAPA group. Marci and Keith Dameron, vice president of Marco Island Iberia Bank, have met to help develop an expanding communications strategy. He has invited Bayshore CAPA to present a program in his “In the Round” series sometime in April.
• The next free Bayshore CAPA “Jazz on the Green” Concert will be held on Feb. 16 from 2-4PM on the Edison State College Campus on the green behind Building M. Stu Shelton brings an exciting and entertaining new jazz fusion sound to the “Jazz on the Green” stage. Stu’s new group incorporates musicians skilled and experienced across the spectrum of creative jazz. Blue Fusion’s repertoire will showcase these performers along with Stu’s technique, dexterity, inventiveness and sense of Latin, pop and funk. Concert goers should bring a blanket or lawn chair.
• I would like to offer a Town Hall Meeting to the people of Marco Island to discuss issues on Marco Island that are related to Collier County, as well as projects taking place on the other side of the bridge or on adjoining Islands that would be of interest to our residents and visitors. This year, the county will be represented by our Parks and Recreation Director Barry Williams; the Administrator for the Public Services Department Steve Carnell, who oversees parks, libraries, museums and more; County Manager Leo Ochs; newly appointed Hearing Examiner Mark Strain; and yours truly, Donna Fiala (we make a good team), who will speak about growth and land use issues. There is no charge for this presentation, which will be held at the Rose Hall Auditorium adjacent to the Marco Museum.
• The Marco Island Kiwanis Club will be offering their Annual Car Show again this year. This marvelous event is a favorite for all of the citizens on each side of the bridge. The event will be held at the Marco Island Healthcare Facility on Sunday, Feb. 16 at 10 AM. All cars being displayed should arrive by 8:30 AM. There is no cost to enter and show your car. There will be everything from antique cars to Corvettes to Ferrari’s to Maserati’s and more! While enjoying the experience of seeing these gorgeous cars, the Kiwanians will be cooking up a storm, so you can enjoy munching on a hamburger or hot dog and drinking a soft drink. There are prizes to be had, 50/50’s to be won, raffles to win, baked goods to buy and much more. Please put all these wonderful activities on your calendar now so you won’t forget.