The Marco Island Chamber of Commerce’s May After Five event delivered a special surprise to seven lucky Lely High School seniors. Held at CJ’s on the Bay, this year’s Chamber of Commerce Scholarship winners were announced at the monthly gathering.
In what has now become tradition, the Marco Island Chamber of Commerce was honored to announce the 2014 recipients. A chamber committee held the daunting task of choosing the scholarship winners. So many students were qualified that narrowing it down to seven was incredibly difficult. In the end, those chosen proved to be quality students and young adults in their school work, extra curricular activities and actions.
With big plans for their futures, these seven students will be taking an extra $2,500 along with them thanks to the Marco Island Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Fund as well as their own hard work.
The 2014 Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Winners are:
• Jeroen Poelstra; University of Florida; Engineering – Aerospace/Mechanical. Activities and Awards: Marching Band, Concert Band, Indoor Percussion, Co-founder of the Surf Club, Website Manager for Project Primal (on-line newspaper), Bio-diesel Researcher, and Spanish Honor Society.
• Paul Grisko; University of Southern Florida; Marine Biology. Activities and Awards: Swim Team, Track Team, Varsity Pole Vaulter, Road Runners Club, Key Club Editor, won Outward Bound Winner, and Camp Able Volunteer.
• Steven Schneider; Edison State College; Sports Management. Activities and Awards – Letter in Academics, Debate Club, and volunteered at the Marco Island Youth Football Team.
•Morgan Dulski; Florida State University Major; Criminal Justice/Legal Studies. Activities and Awards: Top 100 Club, Founder and President of C.O.R.E. (Drug Fee Collier), Fellowship of Christian Athletes, National Honor Society, Relay for Life, Youth Ambassador for Naples Town Hall Series, Varsity Letter in Cross County and Swimming, JV Letter in Track and Cross County, Road Runners Club, Spanish National Honor Society, and Mock Trial Team.
• Colton Hail; University of Florida Major; Aerospace Engineering. Activities and Awards: Peer Tutoring at Lely, National Honor Society, Optimist Youth Sports, Spanish National Honor Society, Debate Team, Varsity Lacrosse Team, Top 100 Club, Letter in Academics, Academic World Quest Competition Team, Honor Roll, AP Scholar Award, and studying to obtain his Captain’s License.
• Sanya Prabhakar; University of Florida Major; Engineering. Activities and Awards – Student Government President, Top 100 Club, National Honor Society, Scholar Bowl Team, Mu Alpha Theta, Varsity Letters in Tennis, Spanish National Honor Society, and Interact Club, Academic Team, Student with Distinction for 4 years, Academic Highest Honor Roll for 4 years, and will receive Scholar Distinction on her diploma.
• Briana Anguilano; University of Florida Major; Event Management. Activities and Awards: Top 100 Club, Varsity Volleyball, Yearbook, National Honor Society, Relay for Life, Leader in training at Children’s Mackle Park Summer Camp, Student of the Month from Rotary, and received Coaches Award from Naples Volleyball Assn.
Coastal Breeze News would like to congratulate the recipients and wish them all the best as they follow their dreams.