Deputies will be watching Collier County motorists to make sure everyone is properly buckled up in vehicles when Click It Or Ticket gets under way next week.
All vehicles will be a target during the annual nationwide safety belt enforcement campaign.
The purpose of the campaign is to increase safety belt use and reduce fatalities on Florida’s roadways.
The fine for not wearing a seat belt is $113 in Collier County.
During Click It Or Ticket CCSO deputies will be conducting various countywide heightened enforcement details and efforts to draw attention to the importance of safety restraint use.
Collier County has the highest safety belt compliance rate – 93 percent – in the state, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.
CCSO is joining forces with other law enforcement agencies across the state, along with FDOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, to crack down on drivers and passengers who fail to buckle up.
Here are some seat belt safety basics:
* The driver and front-seat passenger must wear a seat belt.
* Anyone younger than 18 must wear a seat belt no matter where they are sitting.
* Children 12 and younger should ride in the back seat for safety.
* Children from birth to 80 pounds and 4 feet 9 inches tall should ride either in a car seat or a booster seat, depending on their age.
* A ticket for a violation of child restraint violations will cost you $163.