KEEP MOVING TODAY FOR A HEALTHIER, WELL-BALANCED FAMILY TOMORROW! Did You Know- According to the New England Journal of Medicine today’s young people are not expected to outlive their parents! This is a startling statistic and is mostly related to Youth Obesity-Type 2 Diabetes.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. But, for some kids summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. For parents and caregivers looking to keep kids’ minds and bodies active, the Greater Marco Family YMCA is offering summer camp to give youth an adventurous, active and healthy summer.
YMCA camp programs provide a fun and unique experience that gives children and teens the opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
“YMCA summer camp supports the social-emotional, cognitive development and physical well-being of kids, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, build relationships, develop character and achieve – discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp so that every child can benefit from the experience.”
There are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences, and especially exploring the outdoors.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and Specialty camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While being away from the routine at home, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- NEW FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, educational activities and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The relationships formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for nearly 37 years on the island. Our YMCA continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
See the website for more information. www.marcoislandymca.org
Have a Blessed and Healthy Summer
Lucinda “ Cindy” Love, CEO