April is National Poetry Month, and what better way to celebrate than with a poetry contest? Big Cypress National Preserve invites aspiring poets to submit their poetry for the Second Annual Big Cypress National Preserve poetry contest. Participants are encouraged to explore the national preserve, and write about their experiences.
The preserve is accepting poetry submissions through April 14. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places, and poems will be displayed on the Big Cypress National Preserve website and Facebook page. Winners will be selected by the staff of Big Cypress National Preserve by April 30.
Here are the guidelines for poetry entries:
• Poems must be single spaced.
• Poems must be 12-point font.
• Poems may be written in any format.
• Poems must be submitted by April 14.
• Poets can submit up to three poems.
• Poems must be original and unpublished.
• Poems cannot exceed two-pages (title page does not count toward this limit).
• Poems must be about subjects related to the natural or cultural history of South Florida.
• Poems must include a title page with: name of poem, name of poet, contact address, email and phone number.
Please email poems to: email@example.com. For additional information, please contact the Big Cypress Swamp Welcome center at 239-695-4758.