Chef Anne Feinman
Lemon bars…Lemon Squares… Lemon Slices….whatever your name for them…means mouthwatering to me.The combination of buttery shortbread and tangy lemon filling, makes them so very irresistible. They are best eaten the day they are made, when the shortbread is crisp and the lemon filling is tart and tangy.
In order for them to have a nice tart citrus flavor, be sure to use real lemons, NOT lemon juice from a bottle. Always choose lemons with a bright yellow color, fragrant, firm and plump. Be sure to wash lemons well, before removing the outer rind (zest). The inner white membrane is very bitter and should not be used. Lemons can be hand squeezed or with a lemon squeezer to release the clear tart juice.
Simple to make and so much fun to enjoy sharing!
Tart, rich and perfection, all rolled into one! Wow your family with this easy recipe. Hint: No Substitutions!
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups white sugar
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 lemons, juiced
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
• In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
• Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
• Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool. For a festive tray, make another pan using limes instead of lemons and add a drop of green food coloring to give a very pale green. After both pans have cooled, cut into uniform 2 inch squares and arrange in a checker board fashion.
I look forward to seeing you soon in our new location at The Esplanade. Remember, Chefs Express has moved and is now enjoying a beautiful view of Smokehouse Bay, and has been incorporated into the catering division of Mangos and Lilly B’s Specialty Market. 239-393-2433.