READ MY TIPS
The 2nd Annual Hideaway Beach Open Doubles tournament featured 94 tennis players from all over Collier County and beyond. The following tennis facilities were represented: Hideaway Beach, Fiddler’s Creek, Marco Island Racquet Center, Marco Island YMCA, Cape Marco, Eagle Creek, Player’s Club, Pelican Bay and the Longboat Key Club in Sarasota.
This year, we added the 4.0 divisions – in both the men’s and women’s events, the winning teams were undefeated. In particular, Ann Campisi and Jackie Pham were unbeatable this past weekend as they braved the sweltering heat and finally the wind to capture this prestigious title.
On the men’s side, former Gulfview Middle School teacher (Lafayette College) Walt Lewis paired up with brand new partner, Rick Eichman (Central Missouri State) to go undefeated. Over the three day event, hundreds of people were treated to great tennis and good ole Hideaway Beach hospitality as chair-person Susie Kluger assembled an amazing group of volunteers to help run this top-level event. “This is the greatest event I have ever played in, thank you so much for having me play,” one of our 3.5 doubles champions declared after posting his exciting victory.
Hideaway Beach tennis has secured the future date – just remember it is the first weekend of March (2013) and we will feature 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 divisions.
Final Results: All doubles action (no singles or mixed doubles.)
• Women’s 4.0 Champions: Ann Campisi and Jackie Pham. Finalists: Maria Hayden and Rachel Schenk.
• Men’s 4.0 Champions: Rick Eichman and Walt Lewis. Finalists: Bob Slack (Hideaway Beach) Mike DeLasser.
• Women’s 3.5 Champions: Ty Brechenridge and Kelly Gulling. Finalists: Isabelle Adly and Barb Rasmussen. Consolation Champions: Christine Coe and Lucia Sherman.
• Men’s 3.5 Champions: John Rasmussen and Irv Povlow. FInalists: Boris Pavichevich and Anthony Taradjian. Consolation Winners: Monson Douglas and Alphonse Pitre.
• Women’s 3.0 Champions: Jennifer Bonfitto and Andrea Washak. Finalists: Stephanie Curland and Judy Tibbs. Consolation winners: Dodie Farmer and Cathy Gulling.
• Men’s 3.0 Champions: James Curland and Tony Inzerillo. Finalists: Mark Ryan and Steve Mattingly (Hideaway Beach.) Consolation winners: Donald R. Rooney and F. Douglas Davis (Hideaway Beach.)
Doug Browne is the Hideaway Beach Tennis Director and the new Collier County USPTA Pro of the Year. Additionally, Doug has been the International Hall of Fame Director of Tennis this past summer. Doug has been writing his tennis column for the past fifteen years and welcomes your feedback.